1.17.2008

What is time?

What a generic title for a blog, but what can I say?
Anyway.
I suppose my idea of time, or what time is to me, rather, would be that it is only a guideline that people use to regiment their lives and to decide what they can and cannot do, when they can or cannot do it, and why they can or cannot do it. I find myself doing the aforementioned-- using the minutes on the clock, made up for the sake of organization, I assume-- to do what I wish to do and to find ways to get around doing those things that I do not want to do. That could be convenient, I can use it to wiggle my way out of doing certain chores around my house-- "Hey Mom, I don't have time to vacuum today because I have work in three hours and I have to eat, shower, and drive there." We all know damn well I could vacuum if I really needed to slash wanted to, but I calculated the amount of time I had, thought of ways to fill it up, and then did those tasks at my leisure to get out of something else.
Hell yeah.
Another thing about time. I was reading Einstein's Dreams, which I purchased for this class, and found a specific section very interesting and extremely relevant. Overall, the book so far seems to be explaining exaggerated characteristics of time... sort of using certain paradigms of time perception and use. The one that stuck out particularly, though, is "24 April, 1905" in which there are two times, mechanical time and body time. I suggest reading it for a better understanding, but to me, this concept seemed not at all like a dream and very much like reality.
I could go on about time, as it is a huge topic, but I am getting bored of typing on this horrible Mac. Which is taking a lot of time. Man, I could spend tons of time telling you how much I hate Macs, but I don't want to waste your time. Welp, time to go find a picture of time!

...Sorry.

[EDIT]
I got a sudden uh, lightbulb in my head or whatever. This acoustic musical artist from Chantilly, Abigail Kiser, has a line from a poem that she recorded on her CD, that I really like. It's not really deep or anything.
"What are words but a mute man's frustration,
What is time but an aging man's justification,
And what is love? Baby it's a generalization."
I really like that whole stanza. That specific line also reminds me of another story in Einstein's dreams in which everyone tries to live as far away from the Earth's core as possible in order to avoid aging as quickly.

No comments: